Consider there are more skilled tradespersons and material movements involved in bathroom construction per m2 than any other area of the building. Unlike onsite construction, pre fabricated bathrooms are completed in a controlled factory environment without delays, resulting in earlier completion, quality control and fewer issues onsite.
Prefabricated bathrooms offer many advantages to contractors and developers and are most suited to:
– Retirement Villages and Aged Care
– Residential Apartments
– Hotels / Motels
– Student Accommodation
Project Modular offers an experienced in house design team to take the bathroom headaches out of your construction cycle, using BIM (Building information modeling) and photo realistic animation software to create a full size Prototype before we manufacture.
There are more skilled tradespersons and material movements involved in bathroom construction per square meter than any other area of the building.
Unlike onsite construction, pre-fabricated bathrooms are completed in a controlled factory environment, resulting in earlier completion, quality control and fewer issues onsite.
There is no minimum order required, however, as a general rule of thumb, 50 or more pods become feasible for offsite production.
There are many potential benefits associated with using bathroom pods and taking advantage of as many of these as is possible, depends on a number of factors, being;
– At what stage the decision is made to incorporate pods into the design?
– Number of pods required? The more pods, the more cost effective.
– Common designs, mirror reverse designs?
– Level of complexity – structural or non-structural?
– Level of finishes?
– Lead time available for manufacture?
1. Shorter Build times
Providing the end user and developer with faster return on investment with potential for early rental or sales income for client, resulting in lower holdings costs.
2. Predictable Build times
With more controlled project programming, you know what is going to happen and when.
3. Better Build Quality
Working in a clean dry manufacturing environment is far more conducive to the production of a quality product then on a traditional building site. This in turn leads to fewer defects, fewer disputes and happier clients.
4. Removal of Risk
The greatest benefit is the removal of weather and associated onsite delays with an offsite pod solution. Secondly, there is generally a time period where material components relating to pods are let. This time delay can result in higher costs, whereas pod costings are fixed at the beginning of the project, potentially avoiding intermediate cost increases. Thirdly, loss or damage remains the responsibility of the manufacturer until onsite handover.
5. Health and Safety
There are more onsite construction injuries and fatalities in comparison to offsite manufactured components. This is clearly a reflection of a safer single level working environment.
6. Less demand on resources
A reduction of onsite labour requirements in a time of skilled labour shortages enables subcontractors to utilize their workforce more efficiently in open spaces, rather than congested spaces. Handover defects are minimized, with client approvals signed at the facility and prior to handover. Material and labour movements in hoists and tower cranes are minimized. Onsite ablution facilities are minimized.
7. See the finished product – Prototypes
Upon or prior to award of contract, prototype bathroom (s) are produced and signed off with manufacturer and client. Quality and finish of product is agreed at this time avoiding defects and disputes at completion of project.
8. Centralized Control
Purchasing for the head contractor is simplified with one contractor. Buying a number of trades and materials from one source reduces procurement resource time and effort resulting in cost savings.
Factory manufacture is inherently less wasteful than traditional forms of construction and thus more sustainable, specifically;
– Less deliveries to site, meaning less noise, dust and disruption.
– Lower waste to landfill reducing onsite waste removal and disposal costs
– Factory waste material is typically less than 1.5% compared with 7%+ on a traditional construction site and recycling of waste is more reliably controlled in a factory environment than it is onsite.
– Factory operatives are up to 250% more efficient than the same activity carried out onsite. (UK government research)
– The UK government statistics show that the average distance a factory operative travels to work is 2 miles mostly using public transport. National average to work overall is 8.5 miles. (UK government statistic)
– Recent Life cycle analysis has demonstrated that offsite construction methods reduce the overall impact on the environment by at least 40%.
10. Less Construction Disruption
Work onsite is safer, quieter and cleaner. Potentially up to 90% fewer vehicle movements onsite, which assists with less disruption around the sensitive worksite.
Early decision making is required regarding the build method and exact specification requirements, which is traditionally not completed at the initial design phase. A greater level of coordination is required at the procurement stage to ensure the offsite packages integrate correctly with conventional building elements. Ideally, Architects and consultants need consultation with offsite manufacturer early in design stage. Changes during the manufacturing process can impact on time and cost to the project.